Vyas Akondi, PhD
Dr. Vyas Akondi is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Physical Sciences at the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Berhampur. He holds a Ph.D. degree in the field of astronomical adaptive optics from the Department of Physics at the Indian Institute of Science. With over 10 years of post-Ph.D. research experience, his interests lie in adaptive optics, vision science, retinal imaging, microscopy, and wavefront sensing.
Throughout his career, Akondi has been involved in various research positions and fellowships. He has served as a Senior Research Scientist at Stanford University in the United States, conducting research in ophthalmology and developing clinical ocular devices using adaptive optics technology. He has also worked as a Senior Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at Instituto de Optica of Spanish National Research Council (CSIC) in Spain and as a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at University College Dublin in Ireland.
Akondi has a strong academic background and has been involved in teaching various courses at IISER Berhampur, including Electromagnetism, Introduction to MATLAB for scientists, Mechanics, Astronomy and Astrophysics, and Waves and Optics. He has experience teaching these courses to a significant number of students. Apart from his teaching and research work, Akondi has actively participated in several committees and organizations related to vision science and optics. He has chaired and organized webinars, workshops, and seminars, and has been involved in meeting organizations. Additionally, he has served as an editor and reviewer for various scientific journals in the field.
Vyas Akondi is also a founding partner of 2EyesVision and has actively contributed to the development of Sim+Vis technology. Sim+Vis is an innovative technology in the field of vision that aims to enhance the visual experience of individuals with presbyopia and cataracts. Akondi’s active involvement in the development of Sim+Vis technology showcases his expertise in the field of vision and his contribution to advancing innovative solutions for enhancing visual quality and people’s experience.
- Ph.D., Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Science, 2012. Thesis Topic: “Advanced Wavefront Sensing in Astronomy.” Adviser: Prof. B. Raghavendra Prasad.
- M.Sc. in Physics, Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning, 2006
- II year project: Particle induced X-ray emission technique: Application to trace element analysis of diabetic blood.
- I year project: Developing an interactive environment for understanding Fabry-Perot interferometer using GUI in Matlab.
- B.Sc. Honours in Physics, Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning, 2004
- Project: Modified Newton’s Rings.